Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The emergency button dress

I promised Helen a new dress for preschool photo day (she needs summer dresses anyway) and took her fabric shopping. Despite her usual assertion that red is her favourite colour, and my attempts to sway her to something less, um, loud, she picked a hot pink fabric with white pin stripes.
I picked an Ottobre blouse pattern and lengthened it to make a dress. It was all humming along nicely, and last night it was almost finished, bar the buttons and button holes. I thought that photo day was Wednesday, but this morning at preschool drop-off, I realised that photo day was today! I panicked a bit about the potential meltdown that might happen when Helen realised she wasn't wearing her new dress for the photos, but the teacher assured me that the photographer wasn't arriving until 10.30. It was worth a shot.
I went straight to the shops to buy buttons (had to wait for the shop to open!), then straight home to the sewing machine. I hastily marked out the spacing and sewed the button holes, then started sewing on the buttons. Having run out of time, I used safety pins to attach the last three buttons and raced back to preschool. Thankfully they had decided to photograph the other class first, and Helen got to wear her new dress. Later, she modelled for me at home (sorry about the wrinkles, it was stuffed into her bag a few times today):

3 comments:

Louise said...

It looks lovely Penny! I told Mia to keep her dress on until the photos were over, she assures me she did so even though it was stuffed into her bag when she got home :)

Austysmum said...

Borgeous! What a great idea to etend a blouse pattern too. She looks very fashionable!

Austysmum said...

Woops I meant GORGEOUS!!