Friday, September 24, 2010

Kids clothes week challenge

Last week I stumbled upon Elsie Marley's Kids Clothes Week Challenge, a few days before it started. I love the idea, but life being pretty crazy right now, and with not a lot of time to plan for it, I decided not to sign up. However, it is still motivating me to get some things done. Another motivation is that a certain little girl in our house is just about ready to be out of nappies, but I want to have some extra pants and a stash of side snap undies on hand before we make the switch. It's school holidays, so an ideal time as we don't have to be out of the house as much.
Here are a couple of things:

Side snap undies
My own pattern. Still tweaking it, which I seem to do every time I dig it out. Once the pattern is right, there will be a production line for these. I've made these before with leg/waist bands and also turned and topstitched, but not with coverstitched binding. The binding was surprisingly easy to do, although you can see in the picture I was still trying to figure out the ideal position to place the binding attachment. I also made a pair a few days ago, but they were still in the wash when I photographed this one.


These are a test pair, so I didn't pay too much attention to placement. Outer is embroidered cotton interlock which has been sitting in my stash for a few years. I bought it for baby clothes, but realised afterwards that the embroidery would be irritating and is also too widely spaced. Inner is plain cotton interlock, and binding is poly/cotton ribbing.
Yeah, didn't bother changing overlocker threads either.


WIP: A new pants pattern
Pattern #9 "Candy" pants from Ottobre 1/2008.
If the seams look puckered, they are. Something's off with the overlocker tension and I will be very glad to pick up my newly serviced BabyLock next week. I can live with the puckering since it's a test pair, and they can just be outside play pants. Otherwise, it's coming together pretty well and I'm reasonably happy with the applique, something I've done very little of.
I picked up this fabric from Spotlight the other day - a lovely, light, denim-look cotton (is that still chambray if it's dark like this?). I think it will be very versatile for warm weather clothes.

2 comments:

princess pudge said...

Love the undies, they look like a nappy pattern all laid out like that, such a cool idea, would make changing poopy ones a lot easier!

Austysmum said...

Fantastic undies - will have to keep this in mind as my little girl is almost ready for these too. I think back to TTing her brother, and remeber he was in home-made pullup trainers from about 19 months onwards but she would prefer to do things in her own time. However when a certain nudy bum girl tugged at my leg tonight to tell me "took nappy off Mum, need a fwesh one" I started thinking - trainers!