Sunday, April 24, 2011

A few things

First is more maternity sewing. I found a couple of more knits at my local fabric shop to try out. After prewashing them, I realised one was not the nicest fabric so I chose it to test out a maternity top. This fabric also turned out to be a big PITB to sew, because of the raised plasticky pattern that is printed on it - it's almost like puff paint, but more compact. My overlocker was ok with it, but my coverstitch is more picky and just wouldn't do it without skipping stitches. I resorted to using a stretch stitch on my sewing machine for topstitching the binding seam allowance - I think it may have skipped the odd stitch here and there, but it doesn't show/unravel, unlike with coverstitching.

Here is a close up of the fabric and the raised print.

The top turned out too small, so I've left it unhemmed for now and will pass it on if I find someone who could use it. Apart from the size, the pattern seemed to work well enough (with some minor modifications), so the next attempt should result in something wearable.

Here is the fabric I'll use. This one should be easier to sew!

With my hand on it to show the size of the print.

The latest Ottobre magazine arrived in my mailbox a few days ago.


I'm enjoying my subscription so far, even though I haven't sewn a lot from it yet. This issue has some cute things I'd like to make, such as a pinafore that could make a nice winter party dress, and a sun hat. There are also some nice boys' items should I need them, e.g. for swaps or gifts.

The next thing I'll try is a snail shell AI2 nappy. These work a bit like g-diapers in that they have an elasticated PUL pouch for the insert, but you can use any nappy pattern and fabric for the outer shell. I'm considering making these the majority of bub's daytime stash, but need to try one before I decide.

No comments: