Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Apron - day three

Today I completed steps 6 and 7: preparing the ties and assembling the bib section. The narrow hems on the edges of the ties gave me fits. I actually have a narrow hemming foot that makes a 4mm rolled hem (like a shirt hem), so I tried that first, but kept having problems with it. I didn't persevere long enough to be sure, but I suspect that the weave of the quilting cotton is a bit too open to work well with this particular foot. Shirting cotton is certainly thinner and more tightly woven, and I've successfully used this foot before with a somewhat more tightly woven printed dressmaking cotton fabric. In the end I pressed it manually and then stitched the hem, as per the instructions.
The other sewing frustration of today was discovering that a certain little person had taken to the hem of yesterday's skirt section with her craft scissors :/. Thankfully she didn't do a huge amount of damage and it was not in a prominent spot. She admitted, when questioned, that she'd been trying to make a bandage! I was able to fix it with some makeshift machine darning using a 3 step zigzag.
Sorry, no photos today.

No comments: