Sunday, October 17, 2010

Queen costume: bodice and sleeve shapes

I mentioned yesterday that I'm making a queen costume for Helen. I decided to make a seperate top and skirt to make toileting easier.
Below is a photo of my first calico mockup for the top. The sleeve on the right is my first attempt - definitely not puffy enough. After that, I googled for puff sleeve tutorials to get a better sleeve shape. You can see the result on the left - much better! The bodice is still too short, although it would probably be ok if I was going to sew the skirt to it. The fit is fine otherwise, at least for a costume, although I might modify it a bit to better accomodate her tummy shape.



Here, you can see how different the pattern pieces are for these two sleeves. (The piece on the left is cut on the fold, with some width added at the fold).

No comments: