Sunday, October 31, 2010

It's now a dress...

I made the skirt to go with the top for Helen's queen costume, but when she tired them on, there was a lot of tummy showing when she moved around. It was obvious that it would be better as a one piece dress. After I persuaded her to take off the skirt, I removed the waistband and sewed the skirt to the top. It sounds simple, but it actually took a lot of work to make everything sit right. There was also a lot of hand sewing involved so that the stitching wouldn't show on the outside. It would have been a lot simpler to make it a dress right from the beginning! Oh, well. Done now.
Definitely a hack job, but here it is:



Apologies for the overexposed photo - the centre panel is a deeper gold than it appears here. I found her a pair of gold ballet flats to wear with the costume. I might have to buy the crown rather than make it, as things are pretty crazy here with moving house.

No comments: