Saturday, October 23, 2010

Queen costume progress

After a few more calicos, last night I got stuck into the real fabric. Cut and sewed the main part of the bodice. Rather than fiddling with facings, I decided to do a full lining. We are getting some very warm days already, so I used the lightest fabric I had on hand for the lining - a very thin muslin. Ideally the lining would be red, but hey, it's just a costume!
I realised when sewing this up that my construction method has some bad mistakes (the way the centre panel is attached). Again, it's just a costume, so I fudged it and forged ahead, rather than spending more time trying to figure out a better method.
The trim didn't handle the tight curve on the bottom front edge as well as I'd hoped. Might redo that part if I get time.
It still needs sleeves and a zipper/other fastening.

No comments: